Our House Moving Checklist
This checklist helps you to prepare for your move in a stress-free and well-planned manner. Count down the days while looking forward to your best move.
A Week Before You Move
- Collect any items that are being repaired, or have been loaned out, and clothes sent out for cleaning.
- Arrange for any furniture or possessions that you're not taking with you to be sold or disposed of.
- Check your garden shed, under the house and in the attic to sort what you want to take with you.
- Return anything you have borrowed. Check that you have returned any library books.
- Pay any outstanding accounts.
- Cancel milk and newspaper deliveries
- Organise final readings for your water, gas and electricity meters, and organise the disconnection of your phone.
- List the everyday items which you are bound to need prior to, and during your move. Put these items aside so that they are not accidentally packed with your household goods.
Two Days Before You Move
- Arrange for your valuable documents, jewellery, money etc. to be moved separately. These should not be included with household goods when moving.
- Arrange for an electrician to disconnect any special light fittings you want to take with you.
- Wash and dry all dirty clothes.
- Dispose of flammables such as cleaning fluids, solvents, paints and matches as these items are too dangerous to transport or store. Many local councils provide disposal facilities for such items - do not pour them down the drain.
- Drain any fuel from your lawn-mower, whipper snipper, chain saw or other machinery you may be moving.
- Ensure all jars, bottles and cans containing non-flammable liquids are tightly sealed.
- Pack these in waterproof containers or plastic bags.
- Take down any curtains or blinds you intend to take with you.
The Day before Moving
- Wash and dry all dishes for packing.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet and take all unwanted drugs to your chemist for proper disposal.
- Decide what items you want packed together, for example all your linen, or children's toys, and group these items together for the removalists.
- Check all your drawers and remove any heavy items, liquids or breakables.
- Remove all food from your refrigerator and freezer. Defrost both compartments and wipe the interiors dry, then leave them for 24 hours to air. Check with their manufacturers whether the motor needs to be bolted down for transport, and arrange for this if necessary. Pack your refrigerator shelving and crispers separately.
- Prepare your washing machine for removal, disconnect from the water supply and check with the manufacturer (or your removalist) for advice.
- If you have a waterbed that needs to be moved, it should be drained and the base dismantled. Once again, check with the manufacturer (or your removalist) for details.
- Ensure final readings are completed for electricity, gas and water meters.
- Make a final check of all cupboards and storage areas to ensure nothing has been left behind.
- Plan your moving day so that you're sure of what is your responsibility and what will be your removalist's responsibility.
On the Day of Your Move
- As soon as the removals crew arrives, tell them whether they can park their vehicles in your driveway whilst they are being packed. The same applies for the new location you are moving to.
- Tell the removals crew what items you will need first on your arrival, as they will pack these items last for transport.
- Arrange for any small children to be kept out of the removalist's way.
- Be on hand when the removalists arrive. If you can't be there in person, please arrange for someone to take your place.
- Check that nothing has been left lying around in your garden.
- Ensure that everything has been packed according to the plan developed with your Prices Removals consultant.
- Remain on the premises until everything has been packed and loaded for transport.
- Check and sign the Prices Removals inventory.
- Turn off all taps.
- Check that the gas and electrical switches are turned off, and that your phone has been disconnected.
- Lock all windows and doors.
Who To Notify About Your Move
- Taxation office (within 7 days)
- Roads and Transport Authority (within 7 days)
- Government Departments - Family allowance, Superannuation, Pensions and Insurance
- Insurance companies - life assurance, cars, home and contents, and any other insured items.
- Employers - Group Certificates, Superannuation
- Australia Post - mail can be redirected for up to 12 months
- Telstra - phone services
- Automobile associations such as RACT (Tasmania)
- Telephone, water, gas and electricity authorities
- Rental and hire purchase companies
- Bank and financial institutions - accounts and credit cards
- Doctor, Dentist and Private Health Funds
- Electoral Roles (within 4 weeks)
Are you moving overseas?
There are special requirements which differ depending upon which country you are moving to. Our team can guide you every step of the way to ensure a smooth move no matter where your destination is.